Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Interview with Marc Tiberiis II

Hey all this is a really cool opportunity where I got to talk with Marc Tiberiis II. Marc is a junior at URI he is a Theatre Major with concentrates in Acting and Tech and he also dabbles in directing and as a playwright. He is also the SME which means Student Master Electrician and he worked on the show we just closed Company!

So for everyone out there who is looking into URI for theatre and tech, what does being and SME mean to you as a tech concentrate?

Marc: As an SME your job is to assist the master electrician in any way that they need, I've done it before but this semester was for credit for a lighting design course. What we do is we go to all of the hang and focus nights and we put the lights up and on the second weekend we point them where they want to go.

How did you get involved?

Marc: You take THE 161 which is required for all majors where you do 6 electrical hours, which means you work as an electrician either on hang or focus, my first time I worked on a show I went for a weekend and I really enjoyed it so I kept coming back over and over again. This in turn sparked my interest in lighting design and I designed two shows ("Much Ado About Nothing" and "Romeo and Juliet") at The GAMM Theatre for their Summer Intensive program.

What do you like about URI Theatre?

Marc: I think its a great environment for learning whatever you want to learn whether it be acting directing tech or management all of the faculty are really open the professors are really helpful. My favorite thing here is how supportive the entire department is of other people, we really feel like a community here.

What do you want to do once you graduate?

Marc: I would like to move to Boston and work as a lighting designer and build up my resume and apply to a grad school for lighting design and get a MFA. I would love to go to BU or UCONN, one of my mentors went to BU and I know a couple people at both schools who really really like the program.

What's next for you Marc?

Marc: I really want to be involved in Metamorphoses but next semester my big project is to design the student directed full length show directed by Samantha Ryel, "No Exit." It's a show that's based in hell but the "hell" that the characters experience isn't the "hell" that we all think of, its more of a dentist's waiting area. Hopefully next year, as a senior, I will be able to do lighting design for a full length production on the main stage.

What are you doing over winter break?

Marc: I'm in a show with my girlfriend Kira's theater company called "Out Loud" and we are doing a show called "Amour with Bill" which is a night of Shakespearean love scenes, I'm acting in it and doing lighting design for it. I'm doing a monologue from "Much Ado About Nothing" as Benedict and three scenes, two with Kira ("Taming of the Shrew" and "The Tempest") and one with two other friends from URI Theatre, we're doing  an awesome scene from "A Midsummer Night's Dream."


No comments:

Post a Comment