Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Company!

Hey All!
I am so sorry I haven't blogged in a while, but the theatre life has been so crazy! As you know, Company closed this past Sunday. I have had the wonderful opportunity to be in this show, it has been a crazy-busy, crazy-fun, learning experience. I am playing Amy, the tender, neurotic "Not Getting Married" wife. I am also Dramaturg for the show, alongside Ms. Julia Bartoletti (who played the karate-kicking, samurai-screaming Sarah!) which means that we have done TONS of research on the show, gathering information about the time period (it takes place in the year 1970 in New York City) and researching any references in the script to inform cast and crew of any important pieces of information.

URI is pretty unique in that students get to explore many different aspects of theatre life when working on shows, right now I am an actress, a dramaturg and I help Bonnie with publicity in the theatre office. Which means I am contacting different newspapers to inform them of our show dates, contacting reviewers, and posting the event online, just helping to spread the word.

I have had some really really cool opportunities here at URI. While I do like to act and direct, I also really love to do hair and makeup for shows. Last year I had the opportunity to do makeup for Marat/Sade which included using a white facial spray paint on all of the inmates and using brown mud-colored paint to give the effect of dusty/dirty fingers and toes. I also had the opportunity to do wigs/hair and makeup for Singing in the Rain which included around thirty wigs involving time-period wigs as well!

Well I hope all of you out there were able to make it to the show and if not, I've attached a link to give you a taste of what it was like.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LVmfxPk-OlI

But there is no time to waste! Especially at URI where there are multiple projects going on, it keeps all of the students busy! Today are auditions for Metamorphoses! I actually just got back from mine. It is being directed by a new guest director, and we are all very excited to see what he does with this show.

So the semester is over! I can't believe how fast the time flies at school, but this semester was incredible, fun, and the most amazing learning experience. I don't think I have ever laughed so hard or cried so much, but it was worth it, every roller-coaster emotional second! Finals start this week for us and it will be a crazy schedule!

I hope all of you out there are enjoying your last few days of fall semester and have a wonderful winter holiday break, I will be posting away this winter break, so you'll all have much to read! I will have a blog post of an interview with one of the cast members of company soon so stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment